OUT-OF-STATE OR MILITARY PERSONNEL
Currently not offered
The purpose of the Expedited Process is to offer out-of-state and active military applicants the opportunity to take the primary hiring tests in a consolidated timeframe of three consecutive days instead of the monthly continuous cycle. Applicants who are eligible for this process are required to successfully complete each of the three primary hiring stages before they can proceed into the remainder of the selection process.
The eligibility requirements for the Expedited Process are as follows:
- Applicant must live outside of California or beyond the radius of 500 miles from the Bay Area OR
- Applicant is active military personnel and at their 6 months or earlier scheduled for separation from the Military.
- Applicant must meet the minimum qualifications as listed on Police Officer Trainee job announcement. (Please refer to the Selection Process for specifics.)
- Applicant must complete all required paperwork at the onset of testing
- Applicant assumes all financial responsibilities to participate in the testing
Sample of Expedited Weekend Testing Schedule:
1st Day: Physical Ability Testing, Phase I Psychological Evaluation and POST Entry-Level Battery Written Test.
2st Day: Try to schedule a ride along with the OPD Recruiting and Background Investigations Unit by calling 888-OPD-JOBS if you are interested. Let the officer know that you are testing as an out-of-state applicant and would like to learn more about OPD and the City of Oakland.
3st Day: Administrative Process (Photo, Notary of Waiver Consent to conduct background investigation, and a 12-minute timed aptitude test called the Wonderlic) and 30-minute Oral Board Interview with a panel consisting of an OPD Sergeant, Officer and Community Member.