As a sworn reserve officer, you will perform all the duties and responsibilities of a career police officer on a volunteer, part-time basis.
You will also fulfill a critical need during emergencies and special events that range from presidential visits to community concerts, when normal police resources are overburdened. During a shift, you will typically be assigned to work with another reserve officer or with a career officer.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Service commitment of 20 hours a month.
- Patrol the city's commercial, industrial, residential districts and waterways, working closely with the community and other public safety agencies to proactively preserve the peace and promote public safety.
- Assist citizens.
- Issue citations to violators.
- Respond to calls for service within the Oakland city limits.
- First responder to most emergency situations
- Accurately document activities in written reports and statements, and provide court testimony.
- Investigate crimes such as burglary, robbery, assault, vandalism, domestic disputes, and disturbing the peace.
- Possess a High School diploma or G.E.D.
- Be 20-1/2 at the time of the written test
- Have a valid California Driver’s License by date of hire.
- Possess a POST Level I or Level II Reserve or Basic Certificate.
- Have no felony convictions or other convictions which would prevent carrying a gun.
- Be a U.S. citizen or in the citizenship application process.
- Active Level I Officers who are currently employed with a POST certified law enforcement agency and have been issued a State POST Level I Certificate prior to January 1, 1997.
- Honorably Retired Full-time or Reserve Police Officers, with a valid POST Certificate.
- Active Level II Reserve Officers who are currently employed with a POST certified law enforcement agency.
- Applicants currently enrolled in Basic POST Academy Level II section (must successfully complete and graduate the Level II Basic POST Academy prior to appointment).
- Basic POST Academy graduates.
We do not accept applications for Level III positions.